Thursday, March 31, 2011

Random

So, things are humming along. I'm eating, I'm moving, I'm watching less TV. No major epiphanies yet...but you all will be the first to know when I start having moments of healthy living brilliance!

Until then, let's talk about fun and frivolous things! Here are my...

5 Favorite Things Right This Second

1. New spring bag/bright fun wallet


Tote: H&M/wallet: Kate Spade
Is there anything better than breaking in a new bag at the start of a new season? I actually bought this one just before Christmas (am I the only one who treats myself while I'm shopping for others?), but the slouchy canvas and black/white combo just seemed more appropriate for spring. I think it will move nicely into summer, too -- perfect size and shape for day-tripping/site-seeing/theme-parking!

And the perfect companion to a neutral bag is a pop of color in a fun wallet. I LOVE this wallet -- my second favorite Christmas gift this year (and this one was actually from Santa, not myself). The bright color and super-polished patent leather is so impossibly cheery. I smile every time I see it! Bonus: the design is so well thought out, there are plenty of pockets and card slots and I can actually stay organized. Hooray for not fumbling with my Metrocard every single day!

2. iPad


Always close at hand


Everyone and their brother (and Oprah) have proclaimed their love for the iPad, so this is not a groundbreaking pick. But it is as great as everyone says. I thought I'd use it mostly for travel (dozens of books and movies and games in my carry-on? Yes please!), but I actually use it for something-or-other every single day. Right now I'm obsessed with Harbor Master -- it is the dumbest game ever and I love it. I can't wait to play around with the Garage Band app -- practically a full sound production studio in your palm for five bucks! I'm playing around with lots of different fitness/run tracking apps, too. I'll post about some of my favorites soon.

I've been searching high and low for a decent iPad case -- it shouldn't be that hard! I'm looking for something pretty and functional, and I did have this crazy idea that the case should cost LESS than the iPad itself. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this pretty little number:

Nordstrom Crackle Metallic iPad Case ($48)


I hope it looks as good in person!

3. Bronx Zoo Cobra 

So you probably heard that one of the Bronx Zoo's resident cobras decided to go MIA this week. I am totally bummed she was found this afternoon, I have been thoroughly enjoying this week's snake-related humor. Not sure if she will be able to keep tweeting from her enclosure, but do yourself a favor and follow @BronxZoosCobra to read all about her adventures this week.

Hard to pick a favorite from so many classics, but this one made me laugh for hours:


Bronx Zoo's Cobra
City may not sleep, but I'm ready to. Ooh a chimney! I bet you bragged to your friends about having a
working fireplace in NYC. Hi roomie.

4. IKEA Expedit for your desktop


OK, raise your hand if you love the Expedit bookshelf from IKEA!  LOVE mine -- such a great, functional piece of furniture, such a dramatic focal point in my apartment. Have I ever mentioned that I live in a tiny (less than 400 sq. ft.) apartment? I'll do some posts in the future about small space living, but the Expedit plays a big part in keeping my apartment organized and looking good.

And now I can have one on my desktop. How cute is this!? You can change your icons into all of the adorable IKEA boxes and files that we know and love. I can't wait to get my desktop as neatly organized as my real bookshelf You can choose from 4 different color backgrounds -- I picked the violet, which is perfect for spring (note: hear that, April Fools' Day Nor'easter? I have a violet desktop background now, so you must CEASE TO EXIST!).

Check it out for yourself here on Unplugged (and thanks to Nicole at Making it Lovely for Tweeting this today!).

5. Easter candy


Candy eaten near Runner's World does not have calories
What is it about this time of year that inspires the candy makes to create such works of genius? Who knew there were so many delicious things that you can stuff into a chocolate egg? Valentine's Day and Halloween have nothing on this holiday.

I also really like the fact that there are so many portion-controlled options. I can't have a bag of Hershey's Kisses in my apartment (well I can, but not for long...), but this time of year I know I can grab one of these little single serving treats and get my chocolate fix without going overboard.


Oh, and I almost forgot my final favorite thing right this second: tomorrow is Friday! Everyone do the Friday dance!

Edit: fixed some of the photos, some of them went really wonky. I need to learn to use my camera a little better.

1 comment: