I have been thinking about a great post by Elle, one of the genius contributors at Prior Fat Girl, that I read a few weeks ago. She shared one of her strategies for fortifying her willpower in the face of the many, many temptations that cross out paths every day.
I feel like I am fighting this battle constantly. I know that eventually (once I am in the zone) I will be much better at saying no... but for right now, when temptation comes along I am susceptible. When I saw that box of delicious pastries in the office last week (provided in honor of a departing co-worker, who is actually diabetic -- yes, I work with geniuses), my brain convinced my hand that it was a very good idea to grab one (or two, or...) and indulge.
Elle's strategy is to think about your bigger goals and have a list of those goals at the ready so you can really determine if that treat is worth it. What do you want more, a cookie or a new wardrobe/more energy/a teeny bikini? And she says it even more eloquently than that! Check it out for yourself HERE.
In the spirit of Elle, I present to you my list of things more important than that very tempting (fill in the blank) -- otherwise known as:
Alison's Reasons Why Not
1. I want to run a marathon
2. I want to be able to BRAG to people I ran a marathon
3. I miss my 2005-era wardrobe, which fits a smaller, fitter girl. It is really lovely, and contains things like this little DVF number:
|So much better in person. Also, remind me to tell you the story behind this dress -- an old-fashioned NYC shopping triumph. It was fated to be mine!|
4. I want to comfortably fit in the small seats on the subway -- I ride a crowded train and I HATE passing on a seat because it is too squishy
5. I want to live for a long, long time -- long enough to be a sassy grandma who wears fabulous, funky jewelry and that crazy bright pink lipstick
6. I want to ride a zip line through the jungles of Costa Rica (and other adventure-ish type stuff)
7. I want to wear skinny jeans and tall boots (and leggings! God, those look comfy)
8. I want glowy skin and tons of energy
9. I want to be a good example
and finally, my immediate source of motivation...
10. I am spending a week at the Beach Club Resort in WDW this summer, and I want to feel more comfortable splashing around Stormalong Bay in my bathing suit
|Wish I was here....|