Sunday, June 5, 2011

Notes on a dachshund

Being the owner of dachshunds, to me a book on dog
discipline becomes a volume of inspired humor. Every
sentence is a riot. When I address Fred I never have to 
raise my voice or my hopes. He even disobeys me when
I instruct him in something he wants to do.
-E.B. White, loving dachshund owner

There seems to be a lot of talk about dogs on the blogs that I read: people who have dogs, people who want dogs, people who "adopt" random dogs in their neighborhood and give them new names (oh wait, that was me). Some of you may be considering adding a furry friend to your family. And maybe you’re thinking a dachshund would be the perfect addition.

Good news, you’re right!

Dachshunds are wonderful, lovable, and hilariously adorable little creatures. They also have very funny, quirky personalities. Audrey and took a walk last weekend, and I snapped a few photos to illustrate a few of my favorite dachshund traits.

>>Dachshunds like to stop and smell the roses


Dachshunds have wonderful senses of smell, and they are very thoughtful about stopping to smell the flowers. Your dachshund would like you to wait patiently while she pauses to sniff each and every leaf with her magical little nose.



>>Dachshunds have very expensive taste
Um, I think we're home!
Dachshunds like the finer things in life. Your dachshund may wish you lived in a big, beautiful brownstone (rather than a 400sq foot apartment), or drove a BMW (rather than...nothing).

I know Audrey loves me anyway…but I buy a lottery ticket every once in awhile to keep her happy.

>>Dachshunds don’t always care about a nice view
Audrey and I like to walk down to a local park and people watch. I always stop at the same spot to take in this spectacular view of the New York City skyline. Audrey always does this:
What? What are we looking at?
Your dachshund may not always appreciate the view, but she will wait while you take it in.

>>No one can be un-cheered by a dachshund
When you and your dachshund start taking walks, a wonderful thing will happen: people who pass by will break out into big goofy smiles upon gazing at your short-legged friend. There is just something about the way a dachshund walks or the look on their face as they march down the street that just melts. every. heart.

I call Audrey the one-dog cheer squad as she brings lots of joy to the streets of Brooklyn Heights.

Oh, and the effect is amplified when your dachshund dons one of these yellow rain slickers:
Clearly the best $10 I ever spent
>>Short legs and puddles don't mix
Even with her darling rain attire, your dachshund may not enjoy being out in the rain. I guess I woudn't like it either if I had to drag my belly through all of the puddles. Rainy day walks may not be the most fun with your dachshund, but once you're back home she will be happy to let you wrap her in a towel, burrito-style, and cuddle while she dries.


Disclaimer: If you ARE considering adding a dachshund to your family, you should know the following: doxies bark a lot, they are incredibly bossy, they are stubborn, and they have a bit of a problem with separation anxiety. Adopter beware. BUT, they are so cute and sweet it is easy to overlook a few small flaws....

No comments:

Post a Comment